Cookery is a skill that is done with passion and enthusiasm
HOW TO MAKE EDIKANG IKONG SOUP
1kg Spinach/Pumpkin leaves(Ugwu)
200g Water leaves
1/2kg of assorted meat(offals, snails, cow skin(pomo)
1 large Smoked fish
250ml palm oil
1 cup Periwinkles(optional), to enhance soup quality
4 teaspoons ground crayfish
4 stock cubes
A medium sized onion (diced or chopped)
Fresh pepper as desired
salt to taste
1. Prepare the vegetables by washing and cutting them into thin slices and set aside.
2. Wash and cut the assorted meat in bite-able sizes. Clean the periwinkles, dried fish and set aside.
3. Place the assorted meat in a clean pot , add a little amount of water, add the chopped onion and one stock cube.
4. Cook until the meat is properly cooked to the desired texture.
5. When the meat is cooked, add the dried fish and periwinkle.
6. Add palm oil, the fresh grounded pepper and crayfish and leave to boil for about 10 minutes.
7. Add the water leaves and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Then add the spinach/Ugu leaves(pumpkin leaves).
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Correct seasonings
10. Stir thoroughly and leave to simmer for 5 minutes on low heat and your Edikang Ikong soup is ready.
Note: Edikang Ikong soup can be served with Usi(Starch),Pounded Yam, Eba, Fufu, Wheat meal (Tuwon Alkama), Semolina or Amala.