Get a job in the US

In spite of its widespread appeal as a place to live and work for international transplants, the United States remains a visa nightmare. Don't let that put you off though; there are lots of reasons why you should consider working in the USA


The opportunity to immerse oneself in American society is a major lure, as is the fact that language study is unnecessary. Since English is the most widely spoken language in the United States, it is also the language of choice for conducting business. However, a substantial section of the population also knows Spanish so there will be lots of opportunity to add a second language to your skill set.

There is something in each of the 50 states of the United States of America for everyone. California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New Hampshire, and New York are among the most sought-after states for newcomers to the United States.

Jobs in the USA

The economy of the United States is the largest and most influential in the world. Its unemployment rate of 5.9% is slightly higher than normal, given the country's sizeable population of 332,966,100.

Growth industries include healthcare and social assistance, construction, IT, hotel, financial services, real estate and retail.

However, competition for jobs remains high, so overseas students and recent graduates will need to highlight their strengths to potential employers.

Aerospace, consumer goods electronics, food manufacturing, telecommunications, and automobiles are all examples of very successful industries.
In terms of media development, this country is among the leaders worldwide. The media industry in the United States is very visible internationally; hundreds of newspapers, radio stations, and television networks report on local and international events.

The digital and technology industries are dominated by SMEs; for instance, hundreds of cutting-edge start-ups call California's illustrious Silicon Valley home.

Some examples of large corporations based in the US are:

  • Apple

  • ATT


  • Chevron

  • Doctors' Orders for CVS Health

  • An Overview of ExxonMobil

  • It's a Ford Motor Company.

  • n the case of GE, the phrase "general electric"


  • IBM

  • The JPMorgan Chase Co.

  • Microsoft

  • Pfizer

  • A Procter Gamble Ad

  • Walmart

  • WarnerMedia.

  • Find open positions by visiting:


  • CareerBoard


  • Indeed

  • Monster



Please be aware that in order to apply for any of the jobs posted on these websites, you must first be legally able to work in the United States.

College grads searching for jobs in countries with rigorous visa requirements should prepare thoroughly for the challenge they face. When entering the nation for purposes other than tourism or travel, the correct visa is required (see below).

Skills shortages

Nurses, caregivers, medical assistants, and physiotherapy aides are just some of the professions that will be in high demand in the coming years.

Workers in the following fields: construction, finance, web development, software development, retail, customer service, administrative, and marketing.
Finding Work in the United States
Internationals may find it simplest to find work in the United States by applying for positions with companies based in their home countries that also have branches in the United States and offer options for transfer.

If this is not an option, then you will need to start looking for work in the United States before you can even apply for a visa. If you have particular talents and credentials firms may sponsor your visa but this might be challenging to get.

The application process is very much like the one in the UK. A curriculum vitae (or résumé in the US) and a cover letter are standard application materials for employment. As an alternative, you might submit a paper application for certain openings. A psychometric exam may be administered during the interview process if your application is selected. Depending on the position and business there may be numerous rounds of interviews.

Positions Available During the Summer

It's feasible to discover summer job and vacation options between June and September each year. Seasonal, well-paying jobs are available in a variety of industries, including amusement parks, hotels, beach clubs, and ranches.

Working in a summer camp in the United States is another common choice. Every year, thousands of students and new graduates labor in camps around the country. You might spend the summer alongside other US and international workers, teaching young Americans anything from arts and crafts to sports.

Seasonal and summer camp openings can be found at:

  • Build Up New America Convention

  • Camp Exchange USA 


  • IST Plus


  • Camp Leaders


  • Camp USA by InterExchange


  • Gap 360


  • Real Gap Experience

As you might expect from such a vast country, the United States offers a wide variety of options for those looking to donate their time, but you'll need to be sure you have the proper visa to enter the country.

If you want to come to the United States to volunteer for a nonprofit organization, you can get a business visitor visa (called a B-1 visa) to do so. However, there are prerequisites to any role, so make sure you research well before committing.

To find out what projects are actively recruiting volunteers, visit, the country's natural and cultural resources volunteer site.

Jobs in education

English as a second language (ESL) and English as a foreign language (EFL) instructors are in great demand in urban regions of the United States with large immigrant and refugee populations, including New York City, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, and Seattle. However, international teachers may find it challenging to get employment in the United States due to the country's stringent employment requirements.

Opportunities to teach English are accessible in public and private schools and in further and adult education.

A degree and teaching license are often required to teach at a public school or government-funded institution (such as a public university). A teaching license isn't necessarily required to teach in a private school, however having a Master's degree will boost your employability. Getting certified to teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) or English as a Second Language (TESOL) can open doors for you in the field of adult education.


The J-1 visa is available to students, new graduates, and professionals who wish to work temporarily in the United States. Internships can last up to a year, while training programs in some fields can go on for up to 18 months.

You can either locate your own internship before applying for the J-1 visa, or get a placement through an internship provider. Most suppliers give the complete package, including the placement and visa sponsorship.

Some examples of American internship providers are:

Join the

International graduates with at least one year of professional work experience can participate in the Fulbright Commission's trainee program or apply for short-term job opportunities.

For those students who've already secured a job placement in the US but are seeking J-1 visa sponsorship, you might pursue the Career Training USA cultural exchange course.

Entry into the United States: Obtaining a Visa

The USA is a complex country to enter due to its firm stance on immigration, but a range of programmes and visas are available for certain categories, so you'll need to ensure that you choose the right one - for instance, the J-1 exchange programme, which allows students and professionals to gain work experience and cultural exchange for up to 18 months.

It can assist if you have an employer ready to sponsor you, but this is exceedingly unusual - unless you manage to get work with a global corporation and shift to a US office to acquire entrance to the country. In order to get an L-1 visa, your employer must be willing to transfer you to work in the United States for a period of time not to exceed five years.

The H category visa is available to employers who need to fill specific high-skilled occupations. Professionals and other exceptional persons may apply for an H-1 visa, while seasonal employees such as ski instructors may take advantage of the H-2B temporary worker program. However, there is a strict quota on these, and applications must come from businesses rather than individuals.

UK citizens are eligible to use an ESTA to enter the country for tourism purposes since they are members of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

For more information on work authorization for both United States citizens and noncitizens, see the United States Embassy and Consulates in the United Kingdom.

  • Non-immigrant visa - This is for people searching for a temporary stay in the USA. It includes business, internships, summer jobs, a holiday or education.
  • If you want to settle down in the United States permanently, you'll need to apply for an immigrant visa. These visa-holders must additionally apply for a Green Card before entering the country (permanent resident status).

Obtaining US citizenship is an option if you've established residency in the country. There is a long process involved, as you will normally need to be a Green Card holder for at least five years, as explained on the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website. This is in addition to meeting other requirements.

InsureMyTrip is a travel insurance platform that also offers thorough and up-to-date information on the visa procedure for travelers who are not US citizens. Those who aren't sure what forms of identification they'll need to enter the nation may learn more about the prerequisites here.

Due to the dynamic nature of US immigration policy, nationals of mostly Muslim nations will need to keep a careful eye on any laws or limitations that may impact them entering the USA.


Need for a Common Language

English is the country's de facto lingua franca. You may be required to take an English Language Proficiency examination if English is not your native tongue. Standardized examinations for English proficiency include the TOEFL and IELTS.

Explaining Your UK Degree to Potential Employers
UK degrees are widely recognized by employers. The fact that some people from the United States come to the United Kingdom for further education and then return home to work is a good example of this trend. You should make sure a degree from the United Kingdom is recognized before applying for a job there.

ENIC-NARIC is where you can get all the details.

How American work culture is like
The standard workday and weeklength in the United States is 40 hours, or 9am-5pm. workers frequently exceed this in practice, though. If you're in the legal or medical fields, you could find yourself working the occasional 12-hour day.

However, some American workers get as little as nine paid holidays a year, which is much less than the UK average of two weeks. New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (4th of July), Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day are all paid holidays in the United States. Private companies are not required to observe state holidays.

To learn more, visit:
Discover what it's like to study in the USA.

Orizu Ebube

1345 Blog posts