International students can apply for the Human Frontier Science Program Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022-2023, which are fully supported scholarships. A living allowance, as well as a research and travel stipend, will be provided by HFSP Fellowships. Fellows may also be eligible for a child allowance, parental leave allowance, or relocation payment, depending on their individual circumstances.
The HFSP fellowship program funds ideas in the life sciences that are on the cutting edge and have the potential to change the world. Projects with a high degree of risk are especially encouraged to apply. The projects should be interdisciplinary in character and should use fresh approaches and methodologies to challenge prevailing paradigms. They should address a major problem or a roadblock to growth in the field from a scientific standpoint.
Early-career scientists are encouraged to enhance their research skills by shifting into new areas of study while working in a foreign nation through the HFSP postdoctoral fellowship program.
There are two types of fellowships available:
As a PhD in a biological discipline, applicants can apply for Long-Term Fellowships (LTF) that allow them to expand their knowledge in the life sciences by proposing a research topic that is significantly distinct from their previous PhD or postdoctoral work.
Applicants holding a PhD from a field other than the life sciences are eligible for Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF) (e.g. in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering or computer sciences).
Summary of the Scholarship
- Postdoctoral level of study
- Institution: Human Frontier Science Program
- Study in: The following is a list of host countries.
- Opportunity Life sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, and computer sciences are some of the areas of concentration.
- By May 18, 2022, a Letter of Intent must be initiated by 1 p.m. (Eastern Time in the United States).
In April, the registration portal will open.
- By May 19, 2022, a Letter of Intent must be submitted by 1 p.m. (Eastern Time in the United States).
- Between mid-August and the end of August, the fellowship applicant will be told whether or not his or her Letter of Intent was accepted for submission of a Full Proposal.
- Full proposals for invited applicants must be submitted via ProposalCentral by September 29, 2022 at 1 p.m. (Eastern Time US).
Countries that will be hosting
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus (EU part), Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
Coverage of Scholarships
Science and technology for the benefit of humanity A living allowance, as well as a research and travel allowance, will be provided to postdoctoral fellows. Fellows may also be eligible for a child allowance, parental leave allowance, or relocation payment, depending on their circumstances.
The HFSP Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must meet all of the following conditions to be eligible for Human Frontier Science Program Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- English is a required language.
- All countries in the world are eligible.
- Applicants must propose working in a nation other than their previous Ph.D. or post-doctoral studies. The country in which the laboratory is located will be considered the host country for those institutions that are not designated as national, i.e. international or extraterritorial institutions like the EMBL, ICPT, or ICGEB.
- There is no time limit on when a doctorate in fundamental research, such as a doctor of medicine (MD) or a doctor of philosophy in medicine (Ph.D.), must be earned; nevertheless, it is preferable that the degree be awarded prior to beginning of the fellowship rather than when applying for the fellowship.
- At least one lead author must have a full-length research work in an international peer-reviewed journal or on a preprint server that has been accepted for publication, in the press, or published.
- Only papers published in English will be considered. Patents and review articles are not considered.
- While preparing the application, you must upload electronic copies of publications by the lead author. They can't be posted after the applicant has submitted his or her application.
How can I apply for a postdoctoral fellowship with the Human Frontier Science Program?
To apply for a postdoctoral fellowship from the Human Frontier Science Program, please follow these instructions:
(1) Statement of Intent (to be submitted by May 19, 2022)
To apply, please click here and fill out the 'Letter of Intent,' which must include the following information:
(2) The Letter of Intent will be peer evaluated as soon as possible, and the outcomes will be notified as soon as practicable.
(3) Completed Application (to be submitted by September 29, 2022)
If you are invited to go to the second step, you will be contacted by HFSP.
The following items must be included in full applications:
- An overview of prior work (the same as the short summary of the LOI)
- The suggested research project's abstract (the same as the short summary of the LOI)
- A complete research strategy for the proposed study is included.
Information about why and how the planned endeavor differs from previous efforts.
- Information about why and how the proposed project is considered to be on the cutting edge.
- Reasons why the chosen host lab is a good match
- Details regarding the applicant's potential for growth as a result of their time spent in the host laboratory (e.g. unique infrastructure, mentoring, exposure to new techniques etc.)
- An updated list of publications
- Letters of recommendation from two referees
- A letter of recommendation from the host supervisor, describing how the proposed research plan is a new direction for the host lab and a significant departure from the applicant's previous work (either during PhD or postdoctoral training); the host supervisor should also explain how and why their lab is particularly suited to supporting the HFSP's goals and missions to enable the most talented young researchers to embark on a frontier research project that will shape their career.
- Publications by lead authors in PDF format
Please check the official website for more information about the Human Frontier Science Program Postdoctoral Fellowships: